oCarbon

Carbon Fiber Products

Blog

Keep an eye out for installed photos of these center caps…

Custom order from a very good customer of mine.  OEM 5 star center caps wrapped in 20oz 2×2 twill.  I’m very excited to see how these look on the car.  I love subtle touches of carbon like this that might not get noticed by the average person.

Ready to start the “OEM” vent & MMI group buy

We got the cores in from Germany yesterday, so I can start production on these in the next few days.

By my count I have about 25 A4/S4 vent and MMI sets of cores, and close to 10 A5/S5 sets as well, so hopefully after this group buy is completed I’ll have plenty of cores at my disposal to continue making these matching carbon fiber pieces.

Alex @ Europrice took care of our pretty big order of cores and once again, was awesome to work with (can’t recommend him enough for sourcing OEM parts).

Also made sure I had plenty of the matching fabric in stock so I could get started on these right away.

Keep an eye on the blog and the forums for updates on how these pieces are coming along.

Matching B8 vent and MMI pieces clearcoated

Got these pieces clearcoated up today.  I’ll probably wetsand them down a bit and do another few layers of clearcoat because I really want these pieces to look good.

After sanding and before clearcoat.

After the first few coats.

Couple of detail shots on the vent piece.

Few closeups of the MMI piece.

Keep in mind the colors on these photos aren’t 100% accurate.  They have a bit of a pink tone to them because of the lighting in the shop (the fluorescent lights with the skylights are making the colors goofy).  After these firm up a bit I’ll take them out in the sun and get some pictures in natural lighting.

First attempt at matching B8 vent & MMI pieces

More and more B8 customers have been asking me if they could get vent and MMI pieces made in carbon fiber that matched the OEM carbon atlas trim.  I had some extra cores laying around so I figured I’d give it a shot.

The fabric I’m using for this is an 8 harness satin weave (8HS).  From what I can tell, it is identical to the fabric used on the OEM pieces.  While I’m confident that the fabric will be a match (or a very close match) I’m still uncertain of how close of a match the overall pieces will be.  Audi tends to use resins that have a slight brown tint to them, where as mine are totally clear.  Audi’s pieces are popped out of a mold and unfinished, where as mine are clearcoated and polished.  The only way to find out how close of a match they are is to go ahead and start making them.

These aren’t the best photos, but since the pieces are still in production and have a while to go, it doesn’t matter much.  I’ll take some better pics after I trim off the excess fabric and sand them smooth.

Up first is the vent piece.  If you look close, you can see the outlines of the edges of the piece.

The MMI piece.

Few detail shots of the fabric.

Bunch of new pics of some B8 parts

Lots of progress on the B8 vent and MMI pieces.  These will be getting sent out on Monday so hopefully we’ll have some installed pictures shortly.

Before we start, the black pieces are for the B8 A4/S4 and are done in a 11oz 2×2 twill.  The red pieces are for a B8 A5/S5 and are done in a 6oz 2×2 twill red carbon/kevlar hybrid.

About a week ago after the resin had cured.  Still a lot of work needed to be done to get these pieces looking good.

An hour or so with the Dremel and all the excess fiber is trimmed and grinded off the pieces.

These pieces are clearcoated and wetsanded.  I tend to do multiple coats of clearcoat, allow it to cure, wetsand, then more clearcoat.  I feel as this really enhances the overall look of the higher end pieces and gives them stunning depth.

After the second round of clearcoat, the pieces look great.

Couple of close up detail shots around the curves.  These pieces are extremely difficult to wrap because of how complex they are.  It usually takes multiple attempts to get it right.

The same pieces in red for the B8 A5/S5.  The pieces are very similar, but have some subtle differences.

More detail shots.

Finally we have the shifter pieces.  I’ll get these wrapped up and out to their respective owners in the next few days.  Can’t wait to see how the vent and MMI pieces look with the rest of the set.

Page 1 of 212