Adam’s Rotors D2 S8 carbon fiber trim production…
A few months ago Adam from Adam’s Rotors approached me about doing a custom set for his Project S8, which has been uniquely dubbed ROTORS8. At first I was a little hesitant, as the A8/S8 sets are large and cumbersome, but after talking with Adam for a bit I decided to press ahead. Working with him over the last few weeks has been fun and I’ve enjoyed watching his project car get transformed.
When Adam first contacted me, he made it clear that he was looking for something a little different. I suggested a 9oz plain weave, which is very uncommon on Audis, but still has a distinct carbon fiber look.
First, I stripped the original core pieces and bonded the plain fabric to them.
After applying the first coat of resin. You can still see the fabric poking through, so many more coats are needed before it can be sanded.
Two or three coats later and you can start to see how the pieces will turn out:
We decided to do an Adam’s Rotors logo under the resin on the front ashtray piece:
Once the resin had cured, I stuck them all in an oven for two days to help the post cure. I could then trim off all the extra fabric and start sanding the pieces smooth:
Once the pieces were all trimmed and sanded, they were ready for clearcoat:
A few of the next few pictures are after the first coat of clearcoat, and the pictures after that are of the second coat of clearcoat. We always do at least 2 wet coats of clearcoat so that our pieces have a really nice depth to them:
Once the clearcoat firms up a bit, we stick it under the infared lamp for a bit to speed up the cure.
When the clearcoat is fully cured, it is ready for a quick wetsand and polish:
These pieces are on their way to Adam now, so hopefully we’ll get some good installed pics of them coming up in the near future.